Oh the places you can go......over the last few years I have adopted an amazing second family and have embarked on some incredible journeys. This chapter is just beginning so follow us as we push beyond perceived limits and make the impossible possible.....live life out of your comfort zone, it's lots of fun I promise :)

Thursday 2 February 2012

Desert dreaming......

Oh yes, it is already that time of year again. It's really hard to believe that about 5 years ago during a training run someone asked me if I would ever consider running a 100 mile race..... "maybe" I said. In the background someone whimsically chimed in and said "Hey, how about that race in the desert, you know Badlands, Badwater, you know that race". My initial response " I might be crazy but I am not that crazy". Funny how things change. I always tell people Ultrarunning and the Ultrarunning community is a slippery, slippery slope. Trust me, there are worse habits. Like my friend Matt Russell says, "It's a good crazy".

In 2010, I was honored to both get chosen in the lottery for Western States then get invited to crew at Badwater for my best friend Tony Portera. The first was a great success, not only did I meet another great friend and future Badwater finisher  Terry Sentinella but I manged to secure the coveted Sub24h buckle. The second ; however, turned out to be an even greater life changer. I knew Badwater, I knew every link on the site, had watched every video a thousand times, knew the finisher list like the back of my hand and knew every inch of the course. Ah, but until you experience THAT place and THAT race you really do not understand what it is all about. The event, that is the "Badwater 135" brings together possibly the strongest family I have ever witnessed. The level of camaraderie and compassion during an event that leaves you truly stripped to the core is unmatched. As we walked toward Lone Pine in 2010 Tony said "We came into this friends and we leave as family, that's how it works". I get it now for sure and understand fully why crew experience is so coveted in the application process.



Tony and I Badwater 2010

Terry and I Rucky Chucky Western Sates 2010

Me and my BFF at my favorite sign 2011

Yesterday the application line opened once again, certainly to be flooded by some of the world's most elite athletes. I was so ready to apply I somehow managed to be the first one in, but it's no secret that here is no other race or place more dear to my heart than this and it is an honor even to be considered. It is also no secret that the source of my strength comes from my BFF Erin , she is my rock. Here's wishing everyone the greatest of success in whatever endeavour they seek to conquer or be a part of. Taking a few steps out of my comfort zone just a few years ago has transformed my life for the better in so many ways. Take the first step and never look back.......

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment